York, PA (August 4, 2015)—Wine, spiders, and going topless—are those the first things you would think of when you think of marketing for medical practices? The answer is almost certainly “No.” Nevertheless, all three were among elements of five healthcare marketing campaigns that recently won nine awards for York-based trg Marketing Works in three of the most prestigious national/international healthcare marketing competitions.
“Healthcare has been a competitive industry for a long time,” said Tina Rudisill, President, Marketing Works. “But with the trends currently sweeping the industry—consolidating providers, changes in the insurance landscape, higher consumer expectations—it’s more competitive than ever.”
Gail Schwartz, Vice President—Healthcare at Marketing Works, added that the situation is compounded by the daily barrage of marketing messages from all industries, including healthcare.
“I’ve seen media research that finds the average person is exposed to 5,000 marketing messages per day,” Schwartz said. “In that context, a message has to have elements of the unexpected to get noticed. That’s our starting assumption with every project for every healthcare client.”
The three competitions recognizing the agency’s work with awards this year included:
- The Healthcare Advertising Awards, which is organized by the industry journal Healthcare Marketing Report. According to the annual competition’s Web site, it is the oldest and most widely respected awards competition in the healthcare advertising industry.
- The Aster Awards, hosted by Creative Images Ltd., which selects winners from entries submitted by healthcare organizations and marketing agencies across the U.S. and the world.
- The Quest Awards, an annual competition that recognizes excellence in the marketing of diagnostic imaging services, hosted by the Radiology Business Management Association (RBMA).
Wining campaigns for Marketing Works in the three competitions were:
- “ABUS,” a campaign that put the spotlight on automated breast ultrasound services at Fairfax Radiological Consultants in Northern Virginia, a Healthcare Advertising Awards Gold winner.
- “Women. Wellness. Wine.”—a campaign promoting a special event hosted by Fairfax Radiological Consultants that educated women about important current issues and new tools in the fight against breast cancer, using a wine-tasting event as a forum—winner of a Gold Aster Award in the Patient Education category and a Silver Healthcare Advertising Award in the Special Event category.
- “Meet the Team,” a Gold and Best in Category Aster Award winner in the Brochure category, for a printed piece spotlighting the physicians of About Women OB-Gyn in Woodbridge, Virginia.
- “Go Topless,” an integrated campaign promoting mammography and other women’s imaging services at Princeton Radiology based in Princeton, NJ—winner of a Silver Aster Award in the Women’s Services category and a Merit Award in the Healthcare Advertising Awards competition’s Total Integrated Campaign category.
- “Spiders,” a Halloween-themed campaign promoting treatment services for spider veins and varicose veins at the Fairfax Vein Center in Northern Virginia—winner of a People’s Choice Quest Award and a Merit Award in the Total Integrated Campaign category of the Healthcare Advertising Awards competition.
“‘Being unexpected’ helps us win awards and recognition in the healthcare marketing industry, and that’s great,” Schwartz said. “But more importantly, it helps us deliver measurable results for our clients. At Marketing Works, that’s what inspires us every day to keep pushing and figuring out how to be evocative in an industry that’s used to traditional stock photos of smiling patients, doctors and equipment. If you want to cut through ad clutter you have to be willing to take some degree of risk.”